Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Interview: Chroma (Stil vor Talent, Einmal Disco Bitte, Tic Tac Toe)

CHROMA is a helluva lady. If she is playing at bigger events as support act, her sets are better than the main acts and the crowd gathers around her desk to hear her play, to dance, to have fun. At Tacheles, where I first met her some summers ago, she played a set that was just perfect for a sunny summer day. 
Since I haven't featured that many DJanes, I am really happy that CHROMA, as one of my favourites - agreed to this interview :) This is CHROMA, exclusively for stylistberlin, enjoy!





Where are you right now?
At home in front of my Notebook

What are you doing at the moment?
06.06. / 22:34 / planning my next small event "un poquito sleepless open air" and answering to your questions.

Describe yourself in three words or one sentence:
Phew... I'd say honest, direct, passionate and still stubborn or so ;o) A taurus, you know... somezimes complicated & sometimes down to earth, that's it ;o)

Your soundtrack of you life currently, reason...?
I don't have one, there are so many nice tracks, to decide on some is a hard task.

Top 3 vinyls/tracks on your playlist right now?
1. Chroma & Inexcess feat. Sigrid Elliott - I Can’t
2. Filtertypen - After Laughter
3. Marek Hemmann - Pictures

Cigarettes, weed or alcohol?
Cigarettes & alcohol

Please tell us the story about „einmaldiscobitte!“
To make it short... Once, I was with a good friend a bit tipsy at Berghain and at the cash desk he just said "One time disco, please! (Einmal Disco bitte)"... Thereupon we had a good laugh and the name for my small party-row was born... Thus in April 2008, the first einmaldiscobitte! event was held.

I am not really an event-manager, but in the first place DJ and producer. Nevertheless, to organize an event from time to time and to invite DJs which I like to listen to myself, as well as good friends which I respect personally as DJs is fun and einmaldiscobitte! and un poquito sleepless are just standing for that.

You are one of the few good djanes in Berlin, what is it like to work between all those male DJs?
I like the scene and it's always cool to get to know people. Some DJs are just meeting my taste, some not, everyone has his own style. It's the same with me, some like what I am doing, som don't. It's fine like that, so there are enough DJs in this world to meet everyone's taste ;o)


You are producing tracks with Inexcess, how come?
We got to know each other through a mutual friend and soon realized that we get a long pretty well and should start to try out to produce something together and in the same year, "Snort my violin" and "Katze Baum" was released and the friendship with him grew, so that we can say we call each other brother and sister ;o)


What makes you happy the most at the moment?
To do what I want despite working and still being a bit independent.

Releases from you to keep an eye on?
CHROMA & INEXCESS FEAT. SIGRIT ELLIOT - I CAN'T | STIL VOR TALENT (COMING SOON)
CHROMA & INEXCESS - MUMPFLIG | RELATIVITY TRAXX
CHROMA & INEXCESS - SAY HEY! | STIL VOR TALENT
MIRO PAJIC & CHROMA - CRACK LINE | TIC TAC TOE REC.
CHROMA & INEXCESS - TUBA_KUH_LOSE | STIL VOR TALENT
CHROMA & INEXCESS - SNORT MY VIOLIN | STIL VOR TALENT
JACOB RICHTER - MANIC (CHROMA & INEXCESS REMIX)



How long have you been DJing professionally and how did it become you life?
I started to try it out in 2001 so that I could burn the tracks that I wanted to listen to (which were only available on vinyl) on tape / CD. Then I moved to Berlin in 2002 due to the job and 2005 I started to care a bit more about DJing. Therefore you can say inofficially in 2001 and ifficially in 2005.

Why did you chose Berlin?
Loads of creative heads and musicians are living here, I like that and you can go out and do something, whatever time it may be ;o)

Collaborations you look forward to?
I am concentrating meanwhile on my first own tracks, but collaborations still are loads of fun, and I will work with other artists in the near future as well.

Where will you be in 2015? 2020?
I don't want to be stuck in one place, I want to be able to make music whenever I want, travel a lot, settle down here and there for a few months, but still hold the flat here in Berlin... Looks like a plan, or?

A last word?
LOVE YOUR LIFE AND TRY TO LIVE EVERY DAY AS IF IT WERE YOUR LAST!

Upcoming gigs:
07/06 dienstagswelt@mikz
10/06 revalution
18/06 &19/06 un poquito sleepless open air @REVALUTION
26.06. F-Hain ♥ Dich !
09/07 haus am see
07/08 freilufttanz
30/07 hoppetosse
10/09 spreepiraten
24/09 Kpax


About Chroma
Name: Stephanie Kühn
Date of birth: 1980
Live where (district), reason for chosing the place: Bln Friedrichshain (can reach all my favourite locations by foot ;o)
Relationship Status: Single
Children: nope
Occupation: Office Managment / DJ & Producer
Band/DJ Name: Chroma
Label: Stil vor Talent / TicTacToe

Online appearances:
www.soundcloud.com/chroma
www.facebook.com/chromaberlin
www.myspace.com/chromas

What thought or idea is working in you head right now? :)
First own EP

AWESOME, THANK YOU, LADY!

No comments:

Post a Comment