Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Interview: Johanna Knutsson (Klasse Recordings)



Johanna Knutsson is the youngest of the KLS gang“ artists, the group gathered around the young label “Klasse Recordings”of Daniel Zedelmayr. The logo of her song “Heavy Baby”: butterflies in black and white somewhat became her trademark.


People now always give me presents related to butterflies,” 
she says.
“I mean, you see (pointing to her arms tatooed with these pretty things) I like them, but people tend to forget that I still do love a lot of other things as well.” 
She smiles and shrugs.

by Luca Lozano


Seeing her on picures and from far on parties, it was hard to tell if she was one of the rougher girls, those with tatoos and only dressing in black, or that lovely person that came in wonderfully colorful boots with a bright smile on her face.

Meeting her at a cafe in Mitte/Prenzlauer Berg was a lovely encounter, because she was in a good mood, friendly, smiling and with a low key tender voice telling her story. A story about a step closer to her passion and dreams – making music.

Born in Sweden, she was a professional hairdresser. Her love to music made her quit her job. She just bought a DJ mixer and came to Berlin. She met Luca Lozano and his finacee a bit on accident, but this meeting turned out to be a very synergetic one: she became a Klasse artist and released her first track on Klasse recordings, contributing a good part to the gang.

Recently, I met her at the made to play party at Panorama Bar in Berlin, when Axel Boman, another Swedish DJ was playing his set. They knew each other from Sweden. It was early on Saturday morning, where a lot of the Friday night guests had already left, the rest was exhausted by dancing through the night with Zombie Disco Squad, the Martin Brothers and of course Jesse Rose on the decks, the “new” dancing crowd had just arrived. It was nice to see that she came to support her compatriot Axel Bomann with her presence, which showed what a nice person she was. Thumbs up - a lot of her colleagues in the business only do that if they “have to.”

The lady with butterflies tatooed over her arms brings a lot of love for music and apparently also a respectful amount of talent to the city of Berlin. Watch out for the new woman power! 





... Johanna Knutsson NOW*

Where are you right now?
In my bed in Prenzlauer Berg

What are you doing at the moment?
Trying to recover after the weekend in London, plan my forthcoming weeks and realized that there will be not so much sleeping next week.
Love deadlines though.

Describe yourself in three words or one sentence:
Life-loving or the complete opposite depending on what day it is. 90% of the times I'm insanely happy, and the other 10% is like a black hole. Can only be cured by dancing or music.

Your Soundtrack of your life currently, reason...?
Max Mohr "Old Song". Since I heard that track several years ago, it's been my absolute favorite. Never got the chance to play it out though, it doesn't match anything else I have. I heard that track one of the first times I went to Berghain and it was magic in that sound system.

Top 3 vinyls/tracks on your playlist right now?
It changes from day to day and depending on what I feel like. Can't say..



What did you read lately? Do you have time for that at all? Can you recommend a book or a mag?
I read as often as I can, books are my next favorite thing after music. At the moment I need eecommendations actually! My latest book was a Swedish book that I read for the 3rd time, "Karlstad Zoologiska". I'm hoping that I'll get books for my birthday.
My favorite magazine is Lula, it inspires me a lot.

Cigarettes, weed or alcohol?
ABSOLUTELY NOT WEED. I'm probably the only person on earth who can't smoke weed, nature doesn't like me. 

What makes you happy the most at the moment?
Music(always music), Panorama, my Berlin-family and riding my bike.

Releases from you to keep an eye on
Oh, I'm working on my new EP, which will be my second one ever haha. So until then, I recommend my first one, "Heavy Baby".


How does your day look like?
They are very different from day to day, but it's either; wake up 8.00,drink coffee and go to the studio to either make music, play records or write for Pulse Radio. Other days I cut hair (from home) since I worked as a hairdresser before I started to DJ and go to studio in the evening.

How long have you been doing your job professionally and how did it become your life?
I just stopped working as a hairdresser in February because I didn't have time to do it anymore and wanted to focus 100% on music. It came naturally, there was no special event that made me decide to dedicate my life to it. It just felt right.

Why did you choose Berlin?
Because of the vegan food, clubs and the music.

Where will you be in 2015? 2020?
Oh my... I want to DJ more often, become better DJ and have all the tracks that I love on vinyl. That's my plan.

Upcoming gigs:
L.A.B at Chez Jacki on the 17th of June in Berlin, and there's a gig waiting to be confirmed in Kiel on the 12th.

A last word?
It's only music and it should make you happy.



.... About Johanna Knutsson:
. Name: Johanna Knutsson
 . Date of birth (age): 1984
 . Live where (district), reason for chosing the place: Prenzlauer Berg but on my way to Friedrichshain. Just got a lovely flat there, never cared about location.
. Relationship status: Soon to be married
. Children: In a few years
. Occupation: Musiclover
. Band/DJ Name: Johanna Knutsson
. Label: Klasse Recordings
. Online appearance:

No comments:

Post a Comment