Recently, I had some rather good talks with some people who are in the music-business for a long time now. The keywords were: deep / scene / understatement / normal / low key profile / everybody is a DJ in Berlin / it's all about attitude / do your own thing and so forth...
Since I am not in that business, I do not hesitate to show my opinion about some attitudes of people I meet during my stay here.
"Do you know how many good DJs are out here in this city, unsigned, just because they don't care? Who just keep playing between friends and enjoy the music, not caring about the scene..."
Yes, if I think of it, there are loads of unsigned DJs who play better sets than some who are great producers or are signed under great labels.
One of them is Dooks, a young student from Paris, who enchanted people at once with his good taste of music. Other than some wannabe guys, he draws people to a place and creates party-mood for everyone. I wished there were more people like him (or the Boom Brothers, for example), who are doing a great job if it comes to DJing, and combine that with excellent social skills - sorry this aspect is mentioned a lot in the interviews, I am just very tired of wannabe DJs/producers, who think their 0815 tracks and hipster clothes make them real artists...
For the hunters out there: I am sure this young man will bring a touch of France to Berlin; the one who gets him signed will have an artist with great potential under his label. And if you are lucky, you have an artists who combines the love of music, the needed technical skills for DJing and in the future producing as well under your hood.
Let me introduce: Dooks (from Paris, France)!
by Adeline Mai
stylistberlin: Salut Edouard, if you would describe yourself in three words, what would they be?
Dooks: Critical, tidy and mad about music!
stylistberlin: You are from Paris, what brought you to Berlin?
Dooks: My passion for this language.
by Rebekka De Bner
stylistberlin: Who is your favourite DJs from Paris you hang out with?
Dooks: When I’m in Paris I would say Marcelo Cura (Trapez, Coton Tige), Lowris (Key All, CoolTool) and Joe Kick (really talented music geek but not trying to sign on a label. I hope he willl take the first step) But as often as not with other friends who don’t play music.
When I’m in Berlin: Clio (Saved Records, Metroline).
stylistberlin: When did you start Djing?
Dooks: About a year and a half ago (I can’t really remember).
stylistberlin: Please describe the style of Dooks to the readers!
Dooks: From the DeepHouse to the Techno passing through TechHouse. The most important thing: it must gallop.
by Adeline Mai
stylistberlin: What/who influenced you the most if it comes to music?
Dooks: It’s difficult to say. I would say all the kinds of music: South American music, hip-hop music, jazz music, classical music. Concerning electronic music probably someone like Richie Hawtin, just because he evolves the music. He lives in the current time, the age of technology. For me, Richie becomes single-handedly a part of the Techno music
stylistberlin: What can people expect from your sets?
Dooks: Dancefloor music!
stylistberlin: Favourite three tracks on your playlist currently?
Dooks: Probably the only Track I did with my friend Clio. He did the technical part because I’m not experienced enough.
Ark „Satanark“ and Savas Pascalidis „Superman“ (old amazing stuff).
Eisenstange by DoOkS
stylistberlin: Where do you get inspirations for your music from?
Dooks: From my friends, from travelling (I really love the atmosphere at the airports). When I’m listening music and walking around in Berlin.
stylistberlin: Artists you played with so far? Locations?
Dooks: I played with my buddy Marcelo in Berlin at the Back Yard (Prinzenstrasse). My first important gig is on the 2nd of October with Niconé, Alle Farben and Ente & Wolf at the Champagneria. But you know I’m really shy! That’s why it was really difficult for me at the beginning to play in front of people. I had to kick my ass! Moreover I’m not really looking for gigs, I let it come to me...
Otherwise I play one or two times a month in a cool bar Mein Haus am See by Rosenthaler Platz and in Montoya.
stylistberlin: Laptop or vinyls?
Dooks: Both. Because of financials problems I stardet with my Laptop and controllers and then I bought vinyls. But I really love both. It’s just not the same approach of the mix!
stylistberlin: Collaborations with other artists you are looking forward to?
Dooks: Unfortunately, not any right now, because I don’t have time to take care about it. I would like to have time to produce music, but then you need 4-5-6 hours a day. You’re not going far with 1 or 2 hours..
Concerning the mix, why not playing back to back with my friend Clio (who’s generally playing live).
stylistberlin: What are your plans for the upcoming time?
Dooks: It’s a bit difficult to say because a spend a lot of time with my study and my job! But I’m really looking for more time to produce music.
I’m looking forward to buy a new Sennheiser HD-25 - I lost it - to record my next mix.
stylistberlin: Can you recommend some music to us?
Dooks: Stuff of my buddies Marcelo Cura, Lowris, Clio. Also Alexkid & Rodriguez Jr „Jeri Call/Le Doigt Africain“, Jordan Peak’s stuffies, Danilo Schneider „Pour mes amis“,Real Tone Records presents „ The New Blood Ep PT.3 .
by Gabrielle Veyssiere
stylistberlin: Your last best party ?
Dooks: It was in the Berghain/Panorama Bar. I was with my mate Phitrius Barbieri (Watch the Gap). At Pbar played a Japanese: DJ Pi-Ge (Raum…Musik) who played an edit of Blaze vs. The Mountain People «Can you Dance to My Beat» that my friend Lowris did (now avaible on his own Label «Key All»). Furthermore, his set was really uncredible!!!
I love the Japanese style.
stylistberlin: A last word?
Dooks: If you plan to stay minimum time in a city, try to learn the local language!!!
THX Edouard, we love you! ;)
by Adeline Mai
.... About DOOKS:
. Name: Edouard
. Date of birth (age): 22
. Live where (district), reason for chosing the place: Prenzlauer Berg because it’s a quiet district! Living in Kreuzberg it’s in my opinion a bit boring. Ok, you’re near all the clubs and bars but you don’t get out of that area.
. Relationship status: Single
. Children: 0
. Occupation: Student (Journalism & business communication), to search new music stuff and to try to find time to produce.
. Label: unsigned
. Online appearance:
http://soundcloud.com/dooks-1
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000576649862
https://twitter.com/#!/search/EdouardDoOkS
Pleas take a few minutes and check out the following links (you have to understand French):
http://crackisworld.blogspot.com/ (I did an interview fort hem)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Watch-the-Gap/182526711764573?ref=ts
- Two collectives that friends set up.
by Oliver Casassus







No comments:
Post a Comment