Monday, May 23, 2011

Interview: Antonio Olivieri (Darkroom Dubs, LustUndFreude, Berlin)



Antonio Olivieri is definitely not one of the posers you often see in the scene. That's what makes him sympathetic. A friendly, polite guy who works hard for his age to accomplish what he has now. 
He plays awesome live acts and he produces great tracks, lately his NOTON EP was released, where every tune promises a blast of happiness to all music-fans out there. It is not the usual boom-boom-bullshit some "producers" throw out after hours and days of "I-am-in-the-studio-and-I-think-I-am-so-cool- just-with-sitting-here-and-kill-my-time-playing-around-with-expensive-tools".
"I wished I could hold the back free for this boy... He should produce music only, doing nothing else!" lamented someone about Antonio Olivieri's talent.
Recently, I had a talk with a quite established DJ from the UK about keeping a low profile in Berlin to produce good music, not mingling too much with the other DJs in the scene "just because" but concentrating on producing good music and playing good sets around the world - Antonio Olivieri balances that quite good.
Antonio Olivieri is one of the most promising young musicians Berlin has to offer. Wishing him good luck for his future career - which is going to me marvellous, when he keeps on going like this!



... Antonio Olivieri NOW
"Activating, Sparkling, no Sugar-Added"
Where are you right now?
Sitting at my desk as I do very often...

What are you doing at the moment?
18-5-2011, 15:35, nice wheater with some clouds. I´m figuring out how to plan the rest of the day efficiently since I've been working the whole past night and just slept a couple of hours…


Describe yourself in three words or one sentence:
Activating, Sparkling, no Sugar-Added. :D

Your Soundtrack of your life currently, reason...?
Uff … I somehow hate this question… just answered a bunch of them last month when I applied for a workshop… Do I really have to list songs? If so I would just go with one of my randomly hyper-loved records. A kind unexpected afternoon musical suggestion for everyone out there: BARBRA STREISAND - MAKE IT LIKE A MEMORY. Actually the whole LP is massive gold!

"I'm one of these uninteresting kind of people that had a well structured and even classical culture in their youth and just let everything go to hell"
What did you read lately?
Unfortunately I'm one of these uninteresting kind of people that had a well structured and even classical culture in their youth and just let everything go to hell, finding themselves in this cranky modern digi-analphabethism… I'm really ashamed of this and barely remember the last real book or magazine I read on purpose. Our life has become a useless gathering of useless brand new information. This has to have an end.
Even if we actually love all this, there really is too less love and poetry in our daily existence.
 "there really is too less love and poetry in our daily existence"




Please tell us something about your current projects
So. Here comes some advertising! There is actually pretty much going on lately and a handful of releases is on schedule in the next months, and this right after the satisfaction for the overall feedback for Memories EP on Darkroom Dubs. So I'm somehow taking a so called musical-mental pause :)  I've been making a couple of remixes having fun on them and try not to force me on composing new stuff… In my experience it is a need that comes from itself at the right moment. So I'm not struggling myself in front of the screen searching the ultimate beat but I'm trying to enjoy Berlin's late-spring between daily issues and unusual music approaches.
"I'm trying to enjoy Berlin's late-spring between daily issues and unusual music approaches"
I'm actually evaluating the possibilities and methods of implementing much more live recordings in the production… some results won't let wait for themselves too much :)


Upcoming plans/schedule for 2011 
There is NOTON EP that just came out on Bruxelles' Lift-Your-Head-Up (LYHU). It is for sure one of my once in a while things. Made whiteout thinking to much to the floor. The whole release is actually just made with Roland drum samples and classical guitar recordings.
Then JOKES EP on Berlin's Elektrotribe Records will bring the focus back to the club in June.
July will be the time for a new LustundFreu.de vinyl release(HOME EP), featuring 3 tracks saturated with love, groove and melody.




























... About Antonio Olivieri:
"Having the chance of playing at Fusion [makes me happy]"
What makes you happy the most at the moment?
Being where I am. With who I am. At this time. In this space. Having the chance of playing at Fusion. The upcoming releases.


"My dream is really too big, idealist and glorious to be spread like this on the web"
What is your dream?
My dream is really too big, idealist and glorious to be spread like this on the web :)
In the other hand I really wish that this kind of dreams just remains a dream, since I could not do all the rest otherwise. Open eyes dreams are the best.

Vinyl or mp3?
Laptop. Or Vinyl. Or any other reliable format from the point of view of the audio quality. Sure no mp3. Mp3 is as offense to the human hearing system. As I live artist I'm also not a vinyl nerd any more. I mean, besides some unspecified and mysterious "betterness" vinyl is nowadays more than before just a piece of plastic with music on it. Music made on a computer. So at the moment I really prefer to take the chances technology gave us and love to have total control on the performed music. This is impossible with the "dead" music on a vinyl, since its arrangement is finished. Is fixed.
I actually also really do not want to be misunderstood. I love vinyl. Vinyl still represents music, respect and love for music, and a unique phenomenon in the history of music.
It was the technological object where production costs, value of music, some feticism and market met together.
"Vinyl still represents music, respect and love for music, and a unique phenomenon in the history of music"
How long have you been doing your job and how did it become your life? Do you work in another field for a living?
I've been "jobbing" (sounds like jogging) in the field of music since 10 years approx. Music was actually a stranger in my family. So it all followed a somehow less frequent path. We had two records at home. And some music cassettes. That was it pretty much. I started playing the guitar at seven. And I did till I was 19. I the mean time I fell in love with all imaginable music and with the world of radio. Started DJ-ing at 14 and had no idea how far from home all this would have bring me. I have to say that although everyone's first step is of course making tracks, the most important step for me has been performing exclusively music of mine with ableton. It has been changing from being forced to constantly search other's good music to trying to make some nice one by myself…
"The next step would be jumping from a flying assault helicopter"
Where will you be in 2015? 2020?
No idea. Knowing it know would make lots of things meaningless. I really didn´t have any glue of what to make out of my life till a couple of months ago. Now I have some plans. But as cool people in bloody movies say: "Plans exist to be not followed". The next step would be jumping from a flying assault helicopter.

A last word?
Amen.



... Personal Data:
. Name: Antonio Olivieri
. Date of birth (age): 2-July-1984
. Live where (district), reason for chosing the place: Neukölln. It simply happened.
. Relationship status: in a relationship
. Children: Children are smaller than adults, usually. I like them.
. Occupation: producer, live-act
. Band/DJ Name: antonio olivieri
. Label: Darkroom Dubs, LustundFreu.de, LYHU...

. Online appearance:

ANTONIO, YOU ARE THE BEST!!

PS*stylistberlin: I like children, too XD

*******
More about 


ANTONIO OLIVIERI  (Darkroom Dubs, LustundFreude / Berlin)

Origin: Berlin
Style: Tech-House
Selected Labels: Darkroom Dubs (UK), LustundFreude (DE), LYHU (BE)
Performance: Live-Set

Bio:
Antonio Olivieri is a passionate music lover who was born in Italy. As with many similar stories that you´ve probably heard before, it all began thanks to his parents who encouraged him to study classical guitar for twelve years. Alongside this “guided entry” into the world of music, Antonio soon enjoyed the taste of exploring other sounds and musical landscapes in an independent way, slowly leaving the classical repertoire for a more genuine and callow take on autonomous composing.

DJ-ing and producing tracks have stimulated his aesthetics in many directions, and at a young age he managed to appear on 3 different records from the major Italian label Saifam Group. This proved soon to be too much of a ‘mainstream oriented’ climate for Antonio.

Tired of the Italian music scene and the social and political situation, Antonio left Italy to study in Munich. In 2008, he moved to Berlin, leaving lots of things behind him and trying to find his peace in a more rational and pleasant German society.

Fulfilling his philological view of the music business and the “actual” music itself, Antonio is exclusively performing live sets… a purist approach to the genre, which turns into a groovy and melodic experience which Antonio can freely manage in all of its parts and convey a genuine live-feeling.

2010 was a busy year with releases on various labels featuring Antonio’s typical groovy and melodic style. A symbol of his personal and somehow funny view of music is certainly “Together E.P.” on the German label LustundFreu.de. On the other side his live set is currently becoming “a more dancefloor oriented walk through funk, tech-house and love… aiming at reaching a tasty mix of solid grooves and melody sequences”…

2011 seems to have started under a lucky star, getting into Silicone Soul`s proudly managed Label “Darkroom Dubs”, which is releasing Antonio`s “The Old Days” within the “Darkroom Dub`s Winterdeep Sampler” and later in spring, a whole artist related EP. Other appearances will be on Berlin based “Elektrotribe Records” with a 3 track EP, and also again on Cologne`s “LustundFruede”, bringing another fun number on stage!
On a more moody level there will also be a guitar and TR-808 focused album release on LYHU from Belgium.

Releases:
- "Subtrail"_Antonio Olivieri // Purple Frequency Records
- "Donau"_Antonio Olivieri // Blumenbeat Records
- "Elektro E.P."_Antonio Olivieri // HouseTraxx - SAIFAM
- "Rewind E.P."_Antonio Olivieri // Profound Records
- "Dejavú"_Andrea Crestani (Antonio Olivieri rmx) // McGroove Black
- "All Over"_Audiotravel (Antonio Olivieri rmx) // McGroove Black
- "Life is a Stumble" E.P._Antonio Olivieri // Wikkid-Kremadelik Records
- "Vertigo"_Antonio Olivieri // VVAA "Time Out of Joint" by Microlabel Ltd.
- "Drunkel" (+"Aguas Calientes")_Antonio Olivieri // McGroove Black
- "Anthology E.P."_Antonio Olvieri // LiftYourHeadUp
- "Together E.P."_Antonio Olivieri // LustundFreu.de
- Sunset EP / "Kill The Night" and "Mission" // Celestial Recordings
- "Bedroom"_Andrea Crestani_Antonio Olivieri Remix // Alma Records
- "Wisqo"_Diya_Antonio Olivieri Remix // Celestial Recordings
- "Reboot"_Luca Cazzoni_Antonio Olivieri Remix // Celestial Recordings
- "Influenze"_Vollmer&Brändel_Antonio Olivieri Remix // LustundFreu.de

Appearing on:
- “Techhouse Almanac” // Doppelgaenger
- “Deep and Gloriuos/Volume Indigo” // Tretmuehle
- “Deep Vol.5” // HiFi Stories
- “Barcode Stuttgart” // Parquet Recordings
- “Deep in House – Vol.7” // Gastspiel Records
- “Techhouse Underground” // Doppelgaenger

Further releases on:
- Darkroom Dubs (#047 out Feb.2011)
- LustundFreude
- Lift Your Head Up
- Elektrotribe


No comments:

Post a Comment