Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Listened 2: Marius Funk - A Lover's Discourse Mix

Marius Funk was the opener for the MUNK / MONO / RHODE / FUNK event at Picknick Club recently. 

"As words fail I have come to another "language" to convey emotions" - these are the words describing a mix that was sent to me today by him, the DJ behind the mix. So I asked about his story, as "A lover's discourse" is not a title you would expect usually, when it comes to electronic music. 
"Recently, my relationship ended for good," he says. "I fell into a huge hole."
A friend of Marius presented him a book by Roland Barthes, and Marius tried to find a way to express his feelings. 
"All those songs represent exactly the nostalgic, melancholic mood that is prevailing within me - they all create a certain atmosphere, frailty and an innate sort of melancholy.They are strongly reflective and their lyrics are quite strikingly aiming at relationship matters."
The mix consists of six different parts, and after a while, Marius agreed to comment on each track, even though he usually doesn't put up tracklists on the internet for his sets or mixes.
"Intro: In the movie of Miranda July, the female protagonist plays the role of both lovers and makes vows to eternal love with her imaginary counterpart. Narcissism as only true love? - Loads of recently abandoned partners see their hideaway there." 
"The Lucky Paul track says: "I thought we were alone" (the feeling of exclusiveness) and "you are killing me" - really strikingly  (in addition, I am a huge fan of the singer Milosh), Little Dragon talks about the "ritual union" and the transientness of everything."

Ritual union’s got me in trouble again
I was wonderin’ of a white dress
And the mistress
And a spirit – holding my hand!
Love’s sinking in the sand
Petals falling on demand
My feet are running like the wind
I’m sorry, boy – that we sinned
Love is not like they say
A lie, that it’s hard to make it stay
It drowns my feelings in the sea
I dried out over on the beach

"Guti & Phonique create a quite fragile atmosphere, it's not quite as heartbreaking and also danceable, but it has a beautiful nostalgic link to it. Mano le Tough is one of my few local heroes.  This tune is in my DJ rotation for ages now. I love the melody and expecially the lyrics: "Let's love, baby" - I interprete this usually in an ironic way: how can you ask someone to love? The funny thing is, most people understand: "That's love, baby." But it's more the longing than the inventory of emotions." 
"To pick Moby as last track was extraordinary enough because of the artist himself. But an ender with the lyrics "Now that you are gone, the sun will be no more" rounds up the whole thing pretty well with it's message."
So here it goes, Roland Barthes: "Fragments d'un Discours Amoureux", interpreted by Marius Funk which sounds like this:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment